On Nov. 5 and 6, Dean Jody Hironaka-Juteau and Associate Dean Mitzi Lowe hosted 14 other health deans from around the California State University (CSU) system for the annual Health Deans Fall Meeting. This group of health leaders came together to collaborate and discuss vital topics, such as student success, leadership development, research support and more.
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, Lynnette Zelezny, welcomed the deans at the Smittcamp Alumni House, where the next two days of discussion and planning took place. During the first day of the visit, the deans had the opportunity to visit the Fresno State Student Cupboard and learn about ways the University is addressing food security on campus. Many of the deans expressed interest in having a similar program at their university or expanding on their already existing programs. Afterwards, they discussed proposed funding for CalSWEC Title IV-E, led by Dr. Beatrice Yorker of CSU Los Angeles.
On Friday, our Advising and Career Development Center gave a presentation about the services they offer to students on campus. Other topics discussed at the annual meeting, included accreditation, palliative care, cost and sustainability of graduate programs and engagement of emeriti/retired faculty and staff. It was great having fellow health leaders from around the CSU system come together for bold and impactful collaboration!
Those in attendance included:
- CSU Bakersfield: Dr. Steven Bacon, associate dean – School of Social Sciences & Education
- CSU Chico: Dr. Steven Robinow, associate dean – College of Natural Sciences
- CSU Dominguez Hills: Dr. Gary Sayed, dean – College of Health, Human Services and Nursing
- Humboldt State University: Dr. John Lee, dean – College of Professional Studies
- CSU Long Beach: Dr. James Koval, dean and Dr. Terry Robertson, assiociate dean – College of Health and Human Services
- CSU Los Angeles: Dr. Beatrice Yorker, dean and Dr. Farrell Webb, associate dean – College of Health and Human Services
- CSU Monterey Bay: Dr. Britt Rios-Ellis, dean – College of Health and Human Services
- CSU Sacramento: Dr. Fred Baldini, dean and Dr. Robin Carter, associate dean – College of Health and Human Services
- San Diego State University: Dr. Guadalupe Ayala, associate dean – Graduate School of Public Health
- San Jose State University: Dr. Pamela Richardson, associate dean – College of Applied Sciences and Arts
- Sonoma State University: Dr. Lynn Stauffer, dean – School of Science and Technology